Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Storm Over Kolob - Progress

Storm Over Kolob - Work In Progress; Oil by Greg Newbold; 30" x 40"
I now have the entire canvas blocked in. Even though the entire canvas is covered, some areas feel much closer to finish than others so I still have a lot of work to do. Now comes the process of laying in a second pass or "skin" as some artists call it. I will concentrate on adjusting values where needed by pushing things darker or bringing up the highlights. I will also focus on adjusting hue and saturation. In areas where colors are a bit intense, I will neutralize things. I also want to make sure the temperature shift from the warm sunset light to the cool shadows is consistent. Right now I think some areas are still a bit too warm or too cool. Concentrating on having a nice consistent surface with texture where it should be and interesting brushstrokes will also be in the working mix. Should be fun finishing this up.

Previous progress on Storm Over Kolob

5 comments:

Rob Colvin said...

Looking excellent!

Brad Teare said...

So how do you apply this second "skin"? Do you oil up the canvas with some medium or just dry brush in the paint? It's looking fantastic by the way.

Unknown said...

Thanks Rob!
Brad, I tend to oil up the surface a bit with medium if I want to cover a lot, meaning if I feel like the underpainting is far from where I want it to be. If I want to have a little drybrush texture or if it just needs a little highlight, I will just lay it on top of the dry surface. I don't know if this is typical or not to skip back and forth, but I am still feeling my way with oils. Thanks! I am excited with how this is turning out.

zillustration said...

Beautiful and majestic! What a wonderful image. Kudos, Greg!

Unknown said...

Thanks Paul. Almost done- should post an update soon.