Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Zorn Palette Exercise 2


Malaysia - Oil; 9" x 12" by Greg Newbold
A few posts back I talked a bit about the palette used by Anders Zorn. I explored this palette a bit more last week during class and was much more pleased with the result this time. I pushed the color further to see how much more range I could pull from the limited colors of Cadmium Red, Yellow Ochre, Ivory Black and White. It was also interesting to practice painting a more ethnic model. I focused on  premixing my colors a little more and putting the paint down very directly. I spent about an hour on this study as I have about a dozen students I am helping during the three hour class block. Even given the time restraint, I am pretty pleased with the result. The range of color continues to surprise me and I am looking forward to playing around with this limited palette more in the future.

2 comments:

Jim said...

I love the stokes of heavy paint. It's amazing the colors you are getting from the limited palette. Don S used to do the same and blow my mind. Cool dude.

Unknown said...

Thanks Jim. This is a fun palette to mess with.