Friday, February 17, 2012

Window Cleaning


I started this picture yesterday and finished it this morning- including the drawing as well as the wait for client approval. I can't believe the difference in speed working digitally has made. Granted this is a rather simple illustration, but working traditionally, this painting would have taken at least two days, maybe three. Everyone told me that eventually digital would become much faster than paint, but I didn't understand how fast it would become until the last few projects. I still miss having a physical object as an artifact of the process, but I cannot dispute the dramatic increase in speed.

This magazine illustration revolves around a young boy who goes to help give service one Saturday which included cleaning windows, so my picture depicts the moment when he wipes the window cleaning fluid off the glass. you can see him through the clean section. The magazine title and text will go on the left side and continue under the figure over his shirt.

7 comments:

k.h.whitaker said...

wonderfully done, as always :)

Patti said...

very nice. Love your style.

Cyndia said...

So was this done in Photoshop or Painter? I did not learn how to paint on paper, just self taught on Photoshop. I notice some people ad a little blue in the shading and other tricks...I think that is what I missed out in as far as painting on paper. Just got the Painter 11 and still need to play around. I love your illustration and it looks like you put alot of time into it!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Thanks everyone! (sorry my last comment came out garbled- dang that captcha). Cyndia, I paint in Photoshop, though Painter has some nice features Photoshop does not yet, most notably some of the natural medium effects. I learned on Photoshop, so I have just sort of adapted the tool to what I want to do. I do think that knowing how to paint with physical mediums played a huge role in my being able to adapt quickly to digital media. I just think there is no substitute for practical painting knowledge and experience. That way, digital programs become just another tool in the paintbox and you don't rely on digital trickery to make your pictures work (or not work in some cases). If you have solid painting skills, you can adapt to any medium.

Unknown said...

Looks great! It's very consistent with your traditional medium work ... in fact I would have known this was a digital illustration unless you told us. (I think that's a good thing)

Amalou said...

Beautifully illustrated Greg. The detail in your work is incredible.