Friday, September 2, 2011

Songs of Power Cover

Cover for Songs of Power by Hilari Bell, 14" x 9" acrylic

The cover for "Songs of Power" by Hilari Bell called for a mysterious feel. The protagonist in this YA science fiction/fantasy was a teenage girl of Inuit descent who had the telepathic power to communicate with whales.

First proposed concept sketch

My first concept was a rather straight forward depiction of the girl meditating on the talisman given to her by her grandfather that helped her talk to the whales. Through the porthole of the undersea city where she lived, the whales began to gather.

Final approved sketch. 

The art director Irene Gallo asked me to come up with a more ethereal and mysterious solution. After a fair bit of sketching, I settled on what became the cover image. It became a wraparound image covering both front and back covers. Note the lack of value on the back of  the cover. I would never submit a sketch today without some indication of value patterns. It's a mystery as to why I didn't always do that back in my early career, but I did. I guess I have learned a few things since then.  I went on to create three more cover paintings for Hilari Bell's novels.

8 comments:

Z-Kids said...

Beautiful!

dolly d. said...

Wow, really great.

Patti said...

Very nice!

Amy said...

I love the ethereal quality to this. I noticed your original concept looks like a piece you did later...did you save this idea for future use?

Unknown said...

Amy, I indeed used the original concept sketch for another piece. I'll show you how it turned out in another post.

Unknown said...

I've amended the post with a link to how the unused sketch was reborn.

LARS said...

Very cool.

Sarah Melling said...

Really gorgeous. Always love seeing the sketches along with the finished piece.