Friday, June 3, 2011

Evening Turn

Evening Turn - Acrylic on canvas, 16" x 20"

Shadows fall across the farmer's fields as his evening water turn begins. It will be a long night as he regulates the flow of water to his newly planted crop. This painting was done several years back as a personal piece. I remember taking water turns with my father during my youth. We would take the weir wheel to the canal at the appointed hour and turn our share of water into the ditch. It would then take a little time for the water to go from the headgate to our garden plot. It was sometimes tricky to regulate the flow so that the water didn't flood the crops.The painting was in a few shows off and on and then I'd rehang it in my studio bathroom . Finally last spring I sold it as a result of a joint gallery show I had with my friend David Meikle. Guess it won't be hanging in the bathroom anymore.

7 comments:

Rob Colvin said...

Excellent piece! Love your textures!

michele said...

Such rich, dramatic light and shadows, along with a beautiful tension in this composition! I love that this piece about irrigation was once hanging in your bathroom! ;o)

Jennifer Gray Olson said...

Beautiful work. I really love the warmth and the mood.

k.h.whitaker said...

Beautiful work

peg nocciolino said...

You're amazing!

Coreopsis said...

Beautiful beautiful painting!

Unknown said...

Thank you all for the nice response. When a personal piece like this gets so many nice comments, I feel like I did something right.