Friday, March 18, 2011

Spring Plowing

Spring Plowing - Acrylic, 22" x 11"

The snow is gone and it's time to start thinking about cultivating my garden plot. Seems like more often than not, I get distracted and miss my early window for tilling. This year I hope to have the ground ready for planting by mid May. We usually grow everything from beans and squash and corn, to beets, carrots, potatoes and peppers. I grew a really sweet watermelon a couple of years back and I can already almost taste those late summer tomatoes. I am really looking forward to getting plants in the ground. Nothing like fresh grown veggies in the summer. This picture was from my picture book Spring Song, by Barbara Seuling.

11 comments:

Reflections said...

Fantastic piece, thanks for the reminders of how special home grown vegetables can be.

Giselle Vidal McMenamin said...

great piece Greg!

Tjuca said...

mastetpiece. :-)

zillustration said...

Is our hero sporting a Farmall M, or Massey-Ferguson 65? I can tell you're near a great body of water from the gulls - we only had grackles and robins in our furrows. I can smell the fresh earth. nothing else like it. Always a joy to view your work.

Anonymous said...

gorgeous. lyrical.

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone! Z- I based the tractor on a Farmall, though it's not exact, and around here, we get the gulls. Since the Great Salt Lake is here, the gulls are a fixture in the fields.

Andrew Finnie said...

Hey Greg first visit here. What a wonderful work, the viewpoint is superb, the composition masterly. I better go and check out some of your other stuff and steal some ideas!

(just kidding - b ut on my way to check it out)

yep you are right 'life needs art" (opposite applies too of course - mayb not)

INDIGENE said...

Great perspective and lush color!

poppylocke said...

wow, beautiful work! The composition is amazing!

Sarah Melling said...

Wow...what a lovely piece. Love the overall composition. And I enjoyed the piece on Howard Pyle's studio as well!

MrBibleHead said...

You are an amazi8ng talent Greg! FANTASTIC!